Housing affordability is vital to the social and economic sustainability of our community. Arlington is planning for the next generation of affordability which benefits our community as a whole – it supports our people, improves our neighborhoods and strengthens our economy.
- Mark your calendar for these important upcoming dates as we near the conclusion of the Affordable Housing Study.
Tuesday, September 1, 7 to 9 pm County Board work session
Thursday, September 10, 7 pm Housing Commission
Tuesday, September 15, 7 pm Planning Commission
Saturday, September 19, 9 am County Board Hearing
- Revised Draft Documents Available for Public Review and Comment.
The draft Affordable Housing Master Plan, Implementation Framework and General Land Use Plan Amendments that will be considered by the County Board in September are available for review. Red line versions helps to identify changes from the previous version that was distributed when the County Board authorized advertisement in June. Archived previous versions of the documents are available here.
Comments on the draft Affordable Housing Master Plan, Implementation Framework and proposed amendment to the General Land Use Plan may be sent to email@example.com
- Arlington Public Schools Replies to County Board Request for Information.
Arlington Public Schools responded to the Arlington County Board’s request for information on August 28, 2015. Links to the documents are provided below and are posted on the APS website.
- Survey Results
The County issued a short survey in July to gather feedback on the draft policy for the geographic distribution of affordable housing. Surveys were also available at the three Open Houses held in July. A total of 192 people responded. The results of the survey show that:
- 63% supported the policies in the plan that affect location – the preservation of MARKs and CAFs and access to transit
- 61% felt that the forecast for the distribution of affordable housing was reasonable
- County Board Requests Information from Arlington Public Schools County Board Chair, Mary Hughes Hynes, has requested information from Arlington Public Schools to aid in understanding the relationship between committed affordable housing and school performance.
- There are multiple ways to learn more and provide feedback:
- At their June 13 meeting, the Arlington County Board set September public hearings for the proposed Affordable Housing Master Plan and Implementation Framework. The hearings, before the Planning Commission and the County Board, will be the culmination of a three-year community planning effort.
Visit the Affordable Housing Study Documents page for:
- Key Reports & Study Findings
- Meeting Materials
- Additional Resources
About the Study
The County Board initiated the Affordable Housing Study in 2012 to evaluate existing policies; assess current programs and resources; and identify needs and gaps in provisions for affordable housing. The result will be a set of goals and policies that further the community’s values of diversity, inclusivity, choice and sustainability. These values are central to the County’s vision and help make Arlington a desirable place to live, work, learn and play.
The County Manager appointed an 18-member Working Group to work with County staff to shape the community’s affordable housing vision. In July 2015, the County Board will consider adoption of the Affordable Housing Master Plan as an element of the County’s Comprehensive Plan and the Implementation Framework as administrative guidance.
July 2012 – December 2013
- Hold community forum on Housing Study Scope and Process
- Develop Charge for the Study and report to County Board
- Establish staff Technical Working Group
- Develop Community Engagement Plan
- Develop Stakeholder Network
- Complete Preliminary Data Report
- Develop updated affordable housing principles
- Hold community forum on Preliminary Report and Housing Principles
January 2014 – August 2014
- Conduct housing needs survey; compile and analyze results
- Begin assessment of current strategies/program approaches; determine evaluation criteria and methodology
- Review best practices
- Complete preliminary report on housing needs, with community review
- Complete assessment of strategies/program approaches, with community review
September 2014 – July 2015
- Develop draft Affordable Housing Master Plan and draft Affordable Housing Implementation Framework
- Implement community review of draft documents
- Develop final draft Affordable housing Master Plan to be adopted by County Board as Affordable Housing Element of Comprehensive Pla