The Arlington County Housing Choice Voucher (ACHCV) Program participates in the federal project-based voucher program at the Gates of Ballston residences.
Applicants must be on the ACHCV Program waitlist. The Gates of Ballston has additional unit restrictions, so once an applicant has ACHCV eligibility, the Gates of Ballston’s property manager will determine the applicant’s program eligibility.
Frequently Asked Questions
How do families obtain project-based vouchers?
The PHA will refer families on its housing choice voucher waitlist to vacant units with project-based voucher assistance.
How much rent do vouchers cover?
The PHA pays the property owner the difference between 30 percent of family income and the unit’s gross rent.
How do project-based vouchers differ from tenant-based vouchers?
- The PHA refers families from its waitlist to the property owner to fill vacancies.
- Because the assistance is tied to the unit, a family who moves from the project-based voucher unit doesn’t have any right to continued housing assistance. (They may be eligible for a tenant-based voucher upon availability.)
- The PHA issues an eligible family a voucher, and the family selects a unit.
- The PHA enters into an assistance contract with the property owner for the specified unit for a specified term.
- If the family moves out of the unit, the contract with the property owner ends, and the family can move to another unit with continued assistance.
How should property owners/prospective property owners apply for this program?
Contact the ACHCV Program at 703-228-1450.
What regulations cover this program?
The Code of Federal Regulations (CFR) covers this program in 24 CFR 983.