The County has established guidelines regarding tenant displacement when residential rental properties are proposed for demolition, rehabilitation or conversion. When tenants must be relocated due to redevelopment, they may be entitled to relocation payments or other benefits. The goal is to assist displaced tenants to move directly to safe and affordable replacement housing convenient to their employment or school.
Housing staff is available to assist landlords and developers with creating a relocation plan that complies with County guidelines and Virginia Code Section 55.222. Relocation requirements may vary depending on the source of funding and zoning regulations. In addition, several State and County laws apply to conversion of apartments to condominium or cooperative ownership.
- Arlington County Tenant Relocation Guidelines (en Español)
- Laws Protecting Tenants Facing Conversion
- Monthly Relocation Summary Form
- Relocation Tracking Form
Relocation Guidelines Working Group
A working group comprised of County staff, Tenant Landlord Commission members, tenant advocates and interested persons was formed to:
- Review current guidelines.
- Review similar programs from other jurisdictions to compare best practices.
- Solicit stakeholder input.
- Develop recommendations for updates.
Learn more about the proposed updates here.