The Housing Division provides information about the rights and responsibilities of tenants and landlords to assist with resolution of tenant-landlord disputes. These documents outline the laws governing rental housing and provide information about different aspects of the rental process.
The County’s Tenant-Landlord Commission provides information, referrals and advice for tenant-landlord issues. The Commission also advises the County Board on policies and programs related to tenants and landlords.
These free events are open to residents and landlords and property managers who own and/or manage fewer than five residential properties in Arlington. Seminars cover a variety of different topics, which have included the nuts and bolts of landlord-tenant law, lease requirements, tenant screening, tenant rights, mediation and the Virginia Fair Housing Law. Registration is sometimes required. Check our full event calendar for future workshops.
- Application Process: a guide to the application and screening process that is useful for both tenants and landlords.
- Application Fees: a definition of application fees and rights of the landlord and tenant.
- Apartment Check-In List: to document the physical condition of the unit at the beginning of the tenancy.
- Court Eviction (En Español): outlines the court eviction for possession.
- Landlord Noncompliance (En Español): description of tenant’s use of 21-30 day notice for landlord non-compliance.
- Rent Escrow (En Español): summarizes requirements and procedures for rent escrow.
- Security Deposit (En Español): information regarding the final inspection, deductions, timely return and interest owed on security deposits.
- Vacating an Apartment (En Español): information on ending a lease and vacating an apartment.