The County is conducting a five-year review of the Affordable Housing Master Plan (AHMP), which is a policy framework and vision to meet affordable housing needs through 2040. The AHMP provides policy guidance for a broad range of housing efforts, ranging from “bricks and mortar” projects, to services to prevent and end homelessness, to affirmatively furthering fair housing. Its three overarching goals are:
- Arlington County shall have an adequate supply of housing available to meet community needs.
- Arlington County shall ensure that all segments of the community have access to housing.
- Arlington County shall ensure that its housing efforts contribute to a sustainable community.
Process and Goals
As an element of the County’s Comprehensive Plan, the AHMP is typically reviewed and updated every five years. The County will use this process to update the current needs and projections in the AHMP, and engage the community to ensure that the AHMP continues to comprehensively address the future housing affordability needs of Arlington. The final outcomes will be reflected in an Affordable Housing Master Plan Review Report.
The review process kicked off in 2021.
January 21 at 6 p.m. | Affordable Housing Master Plan Review Kick Off: Housing Needs Analysis
- This event included a presentation by Jeannette Chapman, Deputy Director at the Stephen S. Fuller Institute at George Mason University that contained:
- An overview of Arlington’s Housing Needs Analysis
- Characteristics of Arlington County’s population
- Current housing affordability and housing needs throughout Arlington
- Housing demand forecasted housing through 2045 based on the most recent population and jobs patterns
- View meeting recording
- Housing Needs Analysis Presentation
January 28 at 6 p.m. | Affordable Housing Master Plan Review Webinar: Five Year Report
- As a follow up to the Affordable Housing Master Plan Review Kick Off, this webinar was:
- An introduction to the Five-Year Report: a progress report on meeting the goals and objectives outlined in the Affordable Housing Master Plan; and
- An overview of what has been accomplished and what still needs to be completed in the Affordable Housing Implementation Framework.
- An opportunity for participants to ask follow-up questions and submit comments for future consideration.
- View meeting recording
- AHMP 5-year Review Presentation
March 10 – 31 | Online Engagement Opportunity
- The online engagement has ended, please join the Housing Commission Tools and Trends meetings for additional opportunities to provide input.